Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Lesson in Humility

God taught me a lesson today. A lesson in being non-judgmental, in overcoming prejudices, in humility.

Whether we will admit it or not, we all have prejudices. I could not care less what color a person’s skin is, but I will admit that I tend to categorize people by their willingness to work. If you won’t work, and you are able, I don’t have a lot of use for you. Yes, I’m guilty of pride. It burns me up to see people sitting drawing government checks while I have to go to work to fund those same checks, and they get to stay at home with their babies while I have to leave mine.

This morning, God used my neighbors to show me that I am NO BETTER than anyone else. This is actually the first time I have referred to these people as my neighbors. I usually refer to them as the HOOD down the street.

As Amy and I left the house this morning on our way to school, I heard a noise from the van. At first, I thought it was the engine (I have a deep seeded fear of a broken down vehicle, so that’s always my first thought.) As it turned out, it was my rear tire. The wheel was still on, but the tire was completely off. I have no idea how that happened. I was only about 500 ft from my house, but there was no way I could drive back home without ruining the tire and the wheel. A lady came out from one of the houses. She said she would get her son to change the tire. He first said he couldn’t. That was fine, he owed me nothing. I called AAA. 45-60 minutes wait time. Ugh. In the mean time, the son came out. We were finally able to get the tire off, but then we could not find the spare. It turns out that the spare in a stow- and- go vehicle is under the FRONT seats (a little bit of trivia for you there). We really had a time! Well, I should say THEY really had a time. Several people just jumped right in and did it, Amy and I watched. Right as we finished, AAA drove up. Of course. ;)

I wondered if I should offer to pay them, but I decided not to. I didn’t want to offend anyone; they did this out of kindness, not for money. I did buy them breakfast, though, and Amy had an adventure to tell at school today. “My Mama had ANOTHER flat tire!!!”

So, today God took me off my high horse a little bit. He said, “Kathey, you are no better than anyone else. Would YOU have gone outside in your pj’s to change the tire of a total stranger?” I’m a firm believer in the “pay it forward” mentality, but today I was the one receiving, not the one giving.

So, the next time I walk down my street, I’m not going to look forward and avoid eye contact. I’m going to say “Hi, how are you today? I’m thankful God used you to bless me. I hope that my heart for others can grow as big as yours one day. “

1 comment:

  1. Love this, and love it that it happened with Lizzie in the car! God is great, all the time. We are NEVER too old or too young to learn from Him and from those he puts in our lives.

    ReplyDelete