Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Great news....

I know, I know, long time no blog. But I have to share this.....





First of all, let me start by saying I am NOT anti-medication.

A little back story….Amy Hope has always been a very high energy child. And, the more tired she was, the more energy she had. She couldn’t stay on task, and could not handle “down time.” All indications pointed to ADD or ADHD. In my head, this meant turning my sweet, loving, life-loving little girl into a drug-induced zombie. It was killing me. But, at the same time, I was not blind to the issues it was causing her at school, and causing for her teachers and classmates. It wasn’t fair to anyone to let this go on.

I began to research hyperactivity in children. There is SO much information out there! From foods to supplements to probiotics, to essential oils. However, I kept seeing one thing over and over….Omega 3. I also kept reading about the relationship between “gut health” and mental health. Through this research, and a lot of help/counseling from my teacher friends and hippie mama friends, I came up with a last-ditch effort to keep from drugging my baby. We would start a daily regimen of Omega 3 vitamins and Probiotic supplements.

We started this about six weeks ago. I THOUGHT I was seeing some improvement, but then we didn’t take the supplements for a few days. There was a marked difference in her behavior…in a negative way! Once she got back on them, it was amazing. Amy is still her sweet, friendly, life loving self, but with a self-control I have never seen in her. She has fallen in love with reading, as she finally has the patience to read a book. She has always been a very smart little girl, but she is just gobbling up knowledge now.

For the past seven days, Amy has been on “green” at school. This is the longest string of good behavior she has had all year.

I am not naive enough to think that Amy will never have another issue at school. However, I am SO optimistic about the course of action we have chosen for her.

I just have to share this. I’m so thankful to God for leading us to some answers. Prayers have been answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment